Why do we need the insight FDS?
For the last 40 to 50 years, the industry standard to monitor fluid film bearing wear has been the proximity probe. However, the installation of proximity probes is complex enough that many machines with fluid film bearings have nothing monitoring them at all. This problem has now been solved!
Voyager Instruments developed the Insight Force Detection Sensor (FDS) and created a simple way to get great data that is a better option than using proximity probes.
The beauty of the Insight FDS is its cost efficient and uncomplicated installation. It attaches to the outside of the bearing casing so there is no need to disassemble equipment or endure extensive downtime to drill through bearings to install proximity probes. With less downtime and easier installation, you will be able to see what’s happening with your machinery at a fraction of the cost of traditional proximity probes. It’s so easy now to get great data, you’ll want to put the Insight FDS on all of your machinery.
Benefits of Insight FDS
- Installs in minutes with no tools or downtime required.
- Footprint is so small, it fits easily inside reciprocating engines and compressors directly on the main bearings.
- Connects to any data acquisition system, whether permanent or portable.
- As reliable and maintenance free as an accelerometer.
- Data comparable to Proximity Probe, in some ways superior.
- Similar to the probe in its ability to detect unbalance, misalignment, worn bearings, gear & motor faults, oil whirl, and shaft whip.
- It is superior in its ability to capture rubs and a loss of oil feed.
For Rotating and Reciprocating Equipment Using Fluid Film Bearings:
- Turbines – All Sizes
- Large Motors, Fans, & Gearboxes
- Boiler Feed Pumps
- Compressors - Reciprocating & Centrifugal
- Large Bore Engines
- Embedded in Bearings
- Directly Measures Load
- Facilitates Analysis Algorithms
- Predicting Bearing Life
- Balance Fluid Film Bearings
- Load Balancing for Cylinder head
- Adhesively Mounted
- IEPE Powered (Can be powered by a Portable Data Collector)
- Class I Div II Rating – Intrinsically Safe
- Time Domain, FFT