Insight FDS (Force Detection Sensors)
What is the INSIGHT FDS?
The INSIGHT FDS is a low cost non-intrusive sensor for fluid film bearings that indirectly measures bearing forces to provide time waveform, spectral, and 4-20mA overall condition monitoring capabilities comparable to proximity probes without the need for equipment downtime or machine work to install.
Why do we need the INSIGHT FDS?
For the last 40 to 50 years, the industry standard to monitor bearing wear has been the proximity probe. It is expensive, and was the only viable option, until now.
Voyager Instruments developed the Insight Force Detection Sensor and created a cost effective option to the proximity probe.
The beauty of the Insight FDS is its cost efficient and uncomplicated installation. It attaches to the outside of the bearing casing, so there’s no need to disassemble equipment or endure extensive downtime to put a monitoring system in place. With less downtime and easier installation, you’ll be able to see what’s happening with your machinery at a fraction of the cost of traditional proximity probes.
What is the problem with the Proximity Probe?
The Proximity Probe used to be the only option to protect and monitor your critical and expensive equipment with fluid film bearings.
Why is this a problem?
- Cost Can Be $2 – 3K Per Channel
- Experience Long Downtimes for Installation
- Software to Monitor is Expensive
Why do you need protection?
- Fluid Film Bearings Have The Shortest Time to Failure
- Failures Can Occur in Just Two Revolutions
INSIGHT FDS has the advantage and is the solution.
Benefits Over Proximity Probes:
- A Fraction of the Cost Over Proximity Probes
- Minimal to No Downtime to Install
- Data Comparable to Proximity Probe
- Fits Inside Engines and Compressors on Main Bearings
- Load Quantified
- No Special Shaft Preparation
- No Slow Roll Compensation Required for Accurate Data
For Rotating Equipment Using Fluid Film Bearings:
- Turbines – All Sizes
- Large Motors, Fans, & Gearboxes
- Boiler Feed Pumps
- Compressors - Reciprocating & Centrifugal
- Large Bore Engines
- Adhesively Mounted
- Class I Div II Rating (Low Profile Sensor, FDS102 Only)
- Portable Collector Capable
- Time Domain, FFT, 4-20mA Capable
INSIGHT FDS DATA COMPARISONThe video above shows a side by side comparison of data from an accelerometer, a proximity probe, and our new Insight Force Detection Sensor or INSIGHT FDS. This data is from all three types of sensors installed on fluid film bearings. The accelerometer is used sometimes because of the low price and non-invasive install, but the data is of limited use. The proximity probe provides more useful data for sure, but each probe costs substantially more and necessitates an invasive installation requiring the machine to be down for a long period of time.
The INSIGHT FDS provides a signal that is just as clean and as useful for diagnosing faults and assessing machinery health as the proximity probe. In addition, it’s a fraction of the cost of proximity probes and the installation is noninvasive, while often times allowing for no down-time on your machines.